Beartown



Title: Beartown
Author: Fredrik Backman
Genre: Adult Contemporary Mystery
Rating: Five Stars!

I’m a fan of shifting POVs (point of views, that is), and I love it when authors experiment and test boundaries. It could really work in their favor, or, conversely, it could be disastrous. Fortunately, for Fredrik Backman, his writing style in Beartown was highly successful. Granted, I’ve met some people who disagree with me on that point—justifiably upset that there were times when you couldn’t necessarily identify the characters, and while there are several occasions where the reader may feel a little lost, ultimately, reading through it pays off in a big way because Beartown is an amazing book. But, before I dive into my praise, let me share the synopsis…

“Bear Town” Book Synopsis

People say Beartown is finished. A tiny community nestled deep in the forest, it is slowly losing ground to the ever-encroaching trees. But down by the lake stands an old ice rink, built generations ago by the working men who founded this town. And in that ice rink is the reason people in Beartown believe tomorrow will be better than today. Their junior ice hockey team is about to compete in the national semi-finals, and they actually have a shot at winning. All the hopes and dreams of this place now rest on the shoulders of a handful of teenage boys.

Being responsible for the hopes of an entire town is a heavy burden, and the semi-final match is the catalyst for a violent act that will leave a young girl traumatized and a town in turmoil. Accusations are made and, like ripples on a pond, they travel through all of Beartown, leaving no resident unaffected.

Beartown explores the hopes that bring a small community together, the secrets that tear it apart, and the courage it takes for an individual to go against the grain. In this story of a small forest town, Fredrik Backman has found the entire world.

Summer’s Take on “Bear Town”

Beartown is brilliant! At times, I laughed out loud, while in other instances I cried, or cringed, or grunted in outrage. It was an emotional rollercoaster that was well worth the ride and I cannot recommend it enough, especially if you’re a parent with teenage children. In this book so many themes are explored, and while I don’t like to give spoilers in my reviews, I will say that the reader will get an emotional bang for their buck—meaning that it’ll hold their interest until the very end and it won’t disappoint. So while there is some debate about Backman’s shifting POVs (and I’ll let you be the final judge of that), at the end of the day, it’s an amazing read and it’s definitely worth picking up and trying.

Popular posts from this blog

Keeper of the Dragon’s Tears

Curse the Day

The Realm Below: The Rise of Tanipestis