The Realm Below: The Rise of Tanipestis




Title: The Realm Below: The Rise of Tanipestis
Author: Susan Rooke
Genre: YA Christian Fantasy Fiction
Rating: Five Stars!

When I love a book, I’m always leery about picking up its sequel. I know, that may sound crazy, but I’ve read a few series where the subsequent books have turned me off to the entire universe. Hopefully, you don’t know what I mean (because you’ve always struck literary gold every time you’ve picked up a book series!). If, however, you’re all too familiar with my plight, then you’ve undoubtedly shared some of my reticence as you’ve reached for the second book of a series. Will it be as good? Will the storyline progress in a way that keeps me engaged? Will I be able to continue to love and hate the same characters with an equal amount of passion? As an avid reader, we tend to build intimate, passionate relationships with our books, so committing to a series is serious business!

This month, I happily volunteered to read the second book of Susan Rooke’s The Space Between Series and while I was slightly nervous as I first dove in, I quickly discovered that book two of the series is just as awesome as book one. Before I go into my review though, here’s a quick recap of the synopsis…

“The Realm Below: The Rise of Tanipestis” Book Synopsis

His powers diminished and his form greatly changed, Satan bides his time until he can return to his terrible strength and his kingdom of followers. Cautiously hopeful of Satan’s defeat, the Penitents have resumed their lives in the Space Between, while contending with new additions and the tragic loss of one at the Keep.

In the Realm Below, chaos reigns among the leaderless demons. The monster Tanipestis, no longer under Satan’s thumb, sees an opportunity to disturb the balance of power among the Fallen.

When Satan discovers his disciples can be easily led astray, he decides to reinvent himself. And what he does next will set off a desperate search across three worlds.

Summer’s Take on “The Realm Below: The Rise of Tanipestis”

“The Realm Below” is a beautifully written and hugely entertaining sequel to “The Space Between.” The story picks up right where we left off; with the same elegant narrative and wonderful imagery we grew to love in the first book. The characters who we embraced continue to face many challenging trials and tribulations that make us love or hate them all the more, and we get to know a lot more about each of them—and the lengths they’ll go—as we continue through the series. I especially love the way the author continues to adapt many of the traditional Christian mythologies and fables into unique storylines that leave you wanting more. So while I tend to worry about sequels, I had absolutely nothing to fear with “The Realm Below!” In fact, I highly recommend it and I’m very curious and excited to see how the series continues in book three!

Popular posts from this blog

Curse the Day

Keeper of the Dragon’s Tears